As a homeowner, it's important to be aware of contractor scams in your area. Unfortunately, Cape Cod has seen its fair share of unscrupulous contractors in recent years, and it pays to be vigilant. Here are some of the common contractor scams that have been reported in the Cape Cod area.
1. Lowball Quotes: A common tactic is for a contractor to give you an extremely low quote for a project and then add on extra fees once the job is underway. Be sure to get a detailed quote up front that includes all labor, materials, and other fees.
2. Shortcutting: Some contractors will try to cut corners in order to save money and time. This can result in shoddy work or even safety hazards. Make sure you get a detailed description of the work that will be done and ask to see the contractor's license and insurance.
3. Unlicensed Contractors: It's illegal to hire an unlicensed contractor in Massachusetts. Before you hire a contractor, verify that they are properly licensed and insured.
4. Overcharging: Some contractors will charge more than the agreed-upon amount without permission. Ask for itemized invoices and make sure to double-check the cost of materials.
5. Pressure Tactics: Some contractors will try to pressure you to make a decision right away or signing a contract on the spot. Take your time and make sure you understand the terms of the agreement before signing anything.
By following these tips, you can help protect yourself from contractor scams in the Cape Cod area. Always do your research before hiring a contractor and make sure to get a detailed quote up front. And if something doesn't seem right, trust your gut and walk away. Working with a Premiere builder like RJC Building & Maintenance, Inc. can eliminate these fears. Our team of experienced professionals are committed to providing quality workmanship, excellent customer service, and timely completion of all projects. But more importantly, we understand how important it is to have a reliable and trustworthy contractor, and we strive to exceed your expectations.